August 25, 2016

The Legal Requirements of being a Landlord

We’re here to keep you informed of your legal obligations as a Landlord. Whether you’re a first-time landlord, or just looking for some clarification that you’re following the legislation, we’ve compiled a list of what you need to know.

Electrical Equipment and Systems


There are currently statutory regulations governing electrical equipment and systems in the UK, although you are obligated to ensure the property is safe and you may be liable should something go wrong.




An Energy Performance Certificate needs to be commissioned prior to marketing by Keatons. As the certificate test lasts for 10 years, it is wise to check the national register before commissioning this.




The furniture supplied within a rental property must comply with fire resistance requirements as defined within The Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988. The regulations apply to beds, headboards of beds, mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in the dwelling, scatter cushions and seat pads, pillows, loose and stretch covers for furniture.




The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 require a gas safety check to be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. The certificate is valid for 12 months and must be provided to the tenants within 28 days of the check.


Smoke Alarms


The Buildings Regulations Act 1991 states that all properties built after 1st June 1992 must have mains powered smoke alarms on each floor. If the property is built prior to this date it is not a legal requirement, however, it is strongly recommended that all properties provide at least one smoke alarm.


Carbon Monoxide Alarms


Must be installed in any room that is used fully or partly as living accommodation and which also contains a solid fuel burning combustible appliance. This includes any kind of wood-burning stove or open-coal fire and solid-fuel Agas.


Tax and The Non-Resident Landlord Scheme


You may be subject to income tax during the rental period and capital gains when you sell. If you reside overseas, we are required by the HMRC to comply with the non-resident landlord scheme.


Tenancy Deposit Protection


Legislation requires security deposits for all Assured Shorthold Tenancies to be registered with a government approved scheme. We are member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, operated by The Dispute Service Ltd.


How much is your home worth?

Let's crunch the numbers